Monday, September 13, 2010

This Week's Ask the Experts

Question:
I love Laundress products, especially the Wool and Cashmere shampoo and the Delicates wash. My question is this: I have a dress that says dry clean only and it has two parts. The top part is pink and 100% silk and the bottom half is 40% silk and 60% cotton and is dark grey with a blue sash. It is all connected so I can't wash separately. Is it alright to hand wash it even with two different materials, and more importantly a dark color and light color? I'm not sure what other way to clean it, since I don't want to get it dry cleaned. Thank you!!

-Caitie

Answer:
Hi Caitie,

Does it say dry clean or dry clean only? Usually manufacturers will note dry clean just because it is easier for them. Dry Clean only usually says that for a reason. However, I think they just slap whatever tag they have on hand. Silk and Cotton are both washable and I would use the Delicate Wash and follow these directions: http://www.thelaundress.com/LaundryTips/washingDelicates.asp.

I cannot predict color running...so this may be a concern that you may choose against washing.

I will attach our washing chart so you can reference washable fabrics going forward: http://www.thelaundress.com/LaundryTips/PDFs/washingChart.pdf

Happy Laundering!
Best-Gwen

Follow-up Question:
Thank you so much!! It does say dry clean only. In that case, do you know of any green dry cleaners that you would recommend?

Reply:
Hi Catie,

You want to ask for a non-perc system - look for hydrocarbon or silicon.

Best-Gwen

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Our Blog