Here is this week's question and answer:
Hello, I just discovered The Laundress products and am super happy to be DONE with dry cleaning! It is totally liberating! I have the Wool and Cashmere Shampoo and the Stain Solution. I wasn't sure what other products I needed to get to avoid dry-cleaning altogether, which is why I am writing...
1) Is there something I could use to wash silk, or do I need to dry clean that?
2) Also, I have some cotton/silk blend shirts with ruffles and detailing from J. Crew. They say dry clean only, but I never want to dry clean again. What can I use to clean those? Is washing them in water going to ruin all the ruffles? Do you recommend ironing or steaming?
3) My next question is how to wash blazers. I heard that this is possible with the Laundress products. What products do I use? Does the same go for suit pants? We recommend spot-treating with our Wash & Stain Bar or Stain Solution first. Depending on the fabric, hand wash following our Wool & Cashmere Recipe or Delicate Wash recipe...same advice for suit pants. Lay flat to dry and steam afterwards.
4) Is there anything I NEED to dry clean that I cannot wash myself? Are there any risks that I should know about with certain fabrics?
Thank you so much for your help!
1) You definitely do not need to dry-clean silk - our Delicate Wash was designed specifically for delicate fabrics such as silk. Follow our washing recipe here: http://www.thelaundress.com/LaundryTips/washingDelicates.asp
2) If the percentage of silk is more than 50% use our Delicate Wash again - following the same recipe above. (Otherwise one of detergents such as Signature is fine.) Definitely steam afterwards.
3) We recommend spot-treating with our Wash & Stain Bar or Stain Solution first. Depending on the fabric, hand wash following our Wool & Cashmere Recipe or Delicate Wash recipe...same advice for suit pants. Lay flat to dry and steam afterwards.
4) Review "Can I Be Washed?" & "Fabric Glossary" found here:
http://www.thelaundress.com/LaundryTips/recipes.asp on the top left menu for tips on what you can/can't wash. We are always cautious with viscose rayon as it's a very unpredictable fabric when wet, but other than that - you'll find you can pretty much wash anything...double check our guides to be sure though.