Monday, April 30, 2012

Mildew & Mold...we can help!

From a damaging leak to your daily routine - moisture can be added to the air in your home encouraging biological toxins, such as mold and mildew, to grow.  We always recommend paying special attention to moisture prone areas such as bathrooms, basements, closets and attics.
In the wake of a mold catastrophe, we’ve pulled together some of our best tips and tricks to salvage and prevent mold from leaving a “black cloud” over your head…and wardrobe.


First and foremost, when you are treating mold - time is of the essence!  The longer mold is left untreated, the more damage it will cause... literally eating holes through your textiles.

• Brush any loose mold off the garment using the Stain Brush.
• Apply Stain Solution and mix All Purpose Bleach Alternative, gently scrubbing into the molded areas with the Stain Brush. (Do not use Bleach Alternative on Delicates/Woolens- instead sprinkle vinegar directly on to the area).
• Make a bath with vinegar and allow the item to soak, the longer the better.  Change out dirty water as necessary!  Vinegar will also act as an excellent odor remover.
• Repeat this process until satisfied - remember PATIENCE is a virtue!
• Please note that silk must be treated in 30 minute increments, rinsing thoroughly and allow to dry.
*When treating a garment/textile with a lining- it may be best to have the lining removed and replaced.

Water Temperature:
Use normal/hot water settings for cotton, linen and some synthetics. Use delicate cycle/cold water when washing delicate items such as silk or wool. 

Machine Washing:
• Launder according to item using the appropriate detergent.
• Delicates and woolens should always be washed in a Mesh Bag.

• NEVER put an item that still has staining into the dryer- this will only “bake” them in.
• Cotton and linen can hang dry in the sun for energy efficiency and that fresh line experience…or use the dryer.
• Delicates must line dry while woolens/knits should lay flat. Never put these items in the dryer!

Tips and Tricks:
• Reduce indoor humidity with vents and de-humidifiers.
• Always use the exhaust fan when cooking and cleaning.
• Immediately find and fix the source of a leak or water problem.
• Always remove mold from any hard surface with detergent and dry completely.

For more information on mold, please visit

1 comment:

Joseph Piodos said...

If you’re in doubt of any unpleasant growth in your house, you should simply assume there is a problem whenever you see mold or smell mold odors. Testing should never take the place of visual inspection (which is recommended) and it should never use up resources that are needed to correct moisture problems and remove visible growth.
People used to think that molds were harmless but it isn’t. The fact is, some molds produce a toxin called aflatoxin (toxic and among the most carcinogenic substances known) that causes illness and death in people.
Sometimes, mold growth is hidden and difficult or hard to locate and find. In such cases, carefully conducted sampling and visual inspection may help determine the location of contamination. However, mold testing is rarely useful for trying to answer questions or inquiries about health concerns. For more information, see mold testing services


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Our Blog